On Sat, Jun 27, 2009 at 8:40 AM, Huan Truong<hnt7...@truman.edu> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Hope that you're having a great summer.
>
> This summer I'm working on a open-source project that has to deal with a
> bunch of data from a log file stored in SQLite format. it's some sort of
> data like what in an Apache log file - a bunch of events with the event
> type, event source and time-stamp. I want to generate some sort of
> flexible charts and reports like what we can do in Google Analytics.
>
> I think reinventing the wheel might not be the smartest choice so if
> anyone can give me a hint of which kind of framework I can rely on to
> accelerate my requirements is highly appreciated. I prefer something
> written in PHP for easier integration but it doesn't really matter, as
> long as it's scriptable/programmable.

If its for a webpage, there are some impressive JavaScript libraries
to render piecharts, graphs etc. I don't remember their names off the
top of my head, but they're not hard to find if you know to look for
them.

> Thanks in advance,
> - Huan T.
>

> By the way, I had a chance to play with Qt4 this summer and it is
> definitely a feature-complete and powerful framework to rely on. Writing
> an application that compiles and runs natively on Windows, Linux and Mac
> is just a click away. QtCreator is very solid and I find myself in love
> with it (except for the Ctrl+click feature, there were so many times I
> was forced to jump to another document while everything I was trying to
> do is copy and paste.)

Qt4 is great stuff. :) If you ever want a project to work on, KDE is
quite open to new developers. Just find something to work on.

The still unreleased KDevelop4 is a really impressive IDE for C++
development, mainly because it has very advanced C++ semantic parsing
(better then QtCreator's). If you ever worked with a Java IDE like
Eclipse you know how useful that sort of thing is since it alerts you
to compile-time errors, and allows you do to some advanced
refactoring. KDevelop4 still isn't very stable though, some weeks are
better then others. They really need a feature freeze. :)

Ian