---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 15:28:17 +1200
From: janice <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Public Dollars should Support "living Wage" Jobs

If poor workers are expected to make their way without government help,
we should pay closer attention to whether government policies are
encouraging the creation of jobs that people can’t live decently on.

Public Dollars Should Support "Living Wage" Jobs

Pending the resolution of a court challenge, voters in Montgomery County
will have the opportunity this fall to vote on a referendum which would
set a new standard for accountability in how public dollars are spent.
The proposed amendment to the Montgomery County Charter would require
that companies doing business with Montgomery Country pay a "living
wage."

Such "living wage" ordinances have spread around the country in the last
few years, spurred on by several trends. The federal government has
retreated from its role in defending living standards for the majority
of workers. Real wages have declined for the majority of workers over
the last two decades, and workers at the bottom have been hit the
hardest. The weakening of labor unions, the loss of workers’ bargaining
power, increases in imports and capital flight have all contributed to
this decline.

Meanwhile the purchasing power of the federal minimum wage has fallen,
losing almost a third of its value in the 1980s. The income of a person
working full-time at the federal minimum wage is well below the official
poverty level for a family of three. The passage of "welfare reform" --
removing the federal guarantee that poor families would have income --
has shone a spotlight on the grim prospects of workers at the bottom of
the labor force.

If poor workers are expected to make their way without government help,
we should pay closer attention to whether government policies are
encouraging the creation of jobs that people can’t live decently on. The
move by many local governments to cut costs through privatizing and
outsourcing -- often replacing decent-paying jobs for government
employees with minimum wage jobs at contracted firms -- has caused many
to question whether local governments are leading in the wrong
direction.

The Montgomery County amendment defines a "living wage" as 130% of the
federal poverty level for a family of four. It requires that all County
employees and employees of County contractors and subcontractors receive
this wage. The amendment also establishes a Community Advisory Board to
oversee implementation of the new requirements. This board would be
empowered to examine not only whether companies benefiting from County
contracts pay their workers decent wages; it would also seek to ensure
that such businesses meet other public concerns, such as compliance with
environmental laws, or the fulfillment of job creation claims when they
receive funds targeted to economic development.

Such ordinances have been moderately successful when tried elsewhere. Of
course, they do not necessarily impact a large number of workers:
typically, most workers who would be covered by such ordinances are
already paid wages above the level set by the ordinance in question.
This is no reason not to proceed with such policies; it makes sense to
increase the wages of the lowest-paid workers in any way that we can,
particularly when their jobs are supported by public dollars. In the
absence of policies to increase these wages local governments are
sending the message that paying poverty wages is acceptable.

Of course, some would object that, if there are benefits, there are also
costs. Indeed, it’s true that governments might save some money by
replacing full-time workers who may belong to a union and have decent
wages and benefits with contracting workers who make the minimum wage
and have no benefits. However, if we agree that people who work full
time should be able to earn a decent living, then, morally, savings that
could be gained from impoverishing workers should not be considered a
cost. It might please my tummy to take an ice cream cone away from a
child for my own benefit, but few people would think that I am making a
great sacrifice if I purchase my own ice cream cone.

Communities adopting such policies are not going into uncharted
territory. Baltimore has had a living wage ordinance since December of
1994. A study of the Baltimore ordinance by the Preamble Center for
Public Policy in October 1996 found that costs to the city of the
ordinance were minimal -- indeed, the real cost of its contracts
actually declined, while city contractors reported no reduction in
staffing levels. Let us hope that the voters of Montgomery County have
the opportunity to add their voices to those who have asked that public
dollars be accountable for the kind of employment that they create.

janice