Classification: NATO RESTRICTED

Richard

I agree.  The collective aggregation of interest is a feature of all
political parties. The candidate intentionally are committed to that
aggregation of interests made manifest in the policies in the manifesto.

Sure there are issues of application but the organizing principle still
holds.

Now let us all focus on the big issues.
Like the repeal of the EVA and how much the employer running dogs beat up a
climate of fear and suspicion in order to surface the inherent conservatism
within the Labour Caucus and Cabinet.

And the big daddy of them all the nationalization of ACC.

See you all in cyberspace

Be well.

David Tolich

PS for those of you who live north of the Mom bay Hills and can get Triangle
TV, then tonight at 8:30 pm there is a Heats and Minds Methodist Mission
Northern programme on the WTO
It features Radha d'Souza from the APEC Monitoring Group and Brian van Dam
fron the Anti-Globalisation Action Group. D'Souza is incisive in here
analysis.

For those of you who live South of Pokeno, then videos of the programme can
be purchased from David Tolich < [EMAIL PROTECTED]> or
phone 09 302 5390 or fax 09 309 0665 or letters to MMN PO Box 5104, Auckland
1036

A couple of remarks,

To suggest that the people decide who stays and who goes under MMP is wrong.
The party selects who is on the list and where. It is virtually impossible
to get rid of people high on the list. So long as Labour puts Helen Clark #
1 then we cannot vote her out - only if Labour do not get any electorate
votes or less than 5%

As for discrimination between list and electorate MPs there is plenty
already. Because it is the party that counts, wise voters, as has been
pointed out, can vote for the best local person while voting for another
party. Electorate MPs are therefore closer to real representatives in the
traditional sense. They represent the people, while List MPs represent the
party and only the people indirectly.

I still believe that list MPs who walk have no mandate to be in parliament
for they are representing a party not identifiable voters.

Richard Davis
Executive Officer
Joint Methodist Presbyterian Public Questions Committee

PO Box 9049, Wellington, Aotearoa New Zealand
Phone: +64-4-801 6000  Fax: +64-4-801 6001
http://www.pq.godzone.net.nz/