Gail

I don't think I can go as far as you have here and call for the abolition of
employment. I certainly have called both for the abolition of unemployment and
for a broadening of our understanding of work to place employment in its proper
(not dominant) place.

However, to abolish employment goes too far.  I do think that heirarchies and
power structures are inevitable, and that people can and will only play a
partial role in these (which is for me the same thing as saying that they will
work for someone else) - a bit like Ed's comment about Microsoft.  I am sure
many Microsoft employees feel like they are working with Microsoft (which
reflects their enlightened approach to human relationships) but ultimately they
are working for Microsoft.

Where I believe we have gone wrong - which goes part of the way you go - is
providing primacy to employment as the way in which people 'earn' the right to
participate in the rest of society.  That seems too much like slavery for my
liking.

However, if we create sufficient viable options for people that they never HAVE
to work for someone if they don't want to, then we provide them with options to
move whenever they feel the need and that doesn't feel like slavery.

So, I am all for creating options for people - but I do believe that these
options will include employment - hopefully more of the enlightened kind than
the slavery kind, but ultimately I believe that the creation of sufficient
viable options for everyone (based on abundance not on scarcity) will ensure
enlightenment on behalf of those in employment power.

regards

Charles Brass