On Thu, 06 Sep 2007, Natalia <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>CanWest News reported today that the TD Bank recently arrived at a
>dollar value to assign to literacy/numeracy skills based on a study of
>a number of Canadian and international studies. The report found that
>about 40% of youth lack literacy skills and and roughly half of adults
>lack both literacy and numeracy.

>"An increase in literacy of one percent would mean a $32 billion
>increase in national income -- three times the returns on investment in
>machinery," Craig Alexander, TD Bank deputy chief economist and author
>of the report said. More dependence on service-based, rather than
>industrial sectors, he explained.

>He stressed that improving literacy improves civic engagement: "People
>are more likely to vote if they can read the ballot."

>A 2003 report placed Canada 3rd in reading skills out of 41 nations,
>7th in math and 11th in science. There were disparities between
>provinces, girls and boys, immigrants and Canadian born, and urban and
>rural divides.

>Natalia

How general is this result, I wonder - did they say it only applies to
Canada? The extrapolation is $1B per million population per percent.

I might add that there is a limit to the available increase,
particularly for numeracy, which is quite a lot below 100% - remember
50% of the population is of below median intelligence; I would guess
that numeracy can only be achieved by about 85% of the population.

 -PV