Pete,

The report did focus on Canadians. You raise excellent points and questions below. I pretty much question anything a bank puts out as fact. I don't disagree with the report's conclusions, for the most part, but how facts are gleaned is rarely revealed in a newspaper article. Good P.R. TD thinking outside the box. Ironic findings, given that the bulk of their loans are secured almost solely by material assets, yet I suppose that politicians will be able to run with these figures to create literacy programs, and save the banks billions on training and blunder costs. If people were better skilled, however, they wouldn't be applying for the majority of positions with the bank. TD's concern is with productivity, and the cost of training their staff, both new and existing. Their concern is, however, particularly focused on "deterioration in Canada's trend rate of productivity growth," because the country's growth means better profits for TD.

A point to better literacy -- better educated people would not likely keep their money in banks much longer.

Literacy and numeracy rates would not necessarily sky rocket should employers pay a better wage, but at least the disadvantaged could possibly enroll in a course or two because they could hire a babysitter, or use their spare time for something other than another part time job. They might even be simply happier because they get to do something they enjoy with spare time/money, and thereby develop a better disposition.

Do employers ever stop to think that a lot of work is far too mundane to inspire productivity? Our imaginations are becoming rather stimulated, thanks to technology, and boring jobs can't keep even loyal staff interested. Perhaps one day corporations will appreciate that the current educational system is discouraging learning because of the focus on linear knowledge, and the products produced (by the linear learning) are in themselves the very vehicles to poor brain function.

Skeptically, I'd say that those at the top want this situation to continue, but what we're experiencing is burn out. That will lead to systemic unrest, and both education and the workplace will have to bend to reach the light.

Natalia