> "An increase in literacy of one percent would mean a $32 billion
> increase in national income -- three times the returns on investment in
> machinery," Craig Alexander, TD Bank deputy chief economist and author
> of the report said. More dependence on service-based, rather than
> industrial sectors, he explained.

I guess I'd have to see the report to figure this out.  Does it mean $32
billion if everyone became 1% more literate or if an additional 1% of the
population became more literate?  Either way, a $32 billion doesn't really
sound very plausible to me.

And I wonder what boosting literacy really does for a society.  When I was a
kid, learning to read meant that I could now read comic books.  With adults,
it meant they could now read the stuff in the daily paper, mostly
uncritically.  In other words, learning to read doesn't always mean learning
to think, a much harder process.

In the case of the third world, learning to read and getting educated often
means an increased chance of getting out of there.  I know a couple from
Rwanda.  The husband has a Ph.D in math and the wife has a library degree,
both from the U of Montreal.  Would they ever go back to Rwanda?  Not a
chance.

Ed