Hi Steph,

These are points few would disagree with, and your overview is certainly shared anywhere reason and compassion prevail. Raising literacy rates works when given a chance, and allowed to spread. The mention of benefits to under privileged women cannot be over emphasized. Unfortunately people in nations most in need of literacy are hopelessly repressed by their own governments or religious edicts, and though some can break the mold, the majority of their fellow countrymen and women will never be given the chance to read or write because they're too busy being drones or slaves. Sending them money for literacy programs most often fail, not because the theory is flawed, but because the money is channeled into personal, corporate or other government/military/militant projects by which few benefit.

We can readily gauge its effects within existing Western systems, where we find most generally that a better education results in a better paying/more satisfying position, yet entrepreneurs with little education continue to defy the MBA by being the majority of members in the multi-millionaire/billionaire club. One could say that they have fallen through the cracks in an unexpected direction, much as one could also point out that their way of doing business is usually no different from other corporate giants; that perhaps an education could alter their destructive course to help create a better corporate environment. Others will argue that the quality and content of education itself is the reason our society fails itself.

There remains, however, the fact that without the sectors of service industries such as cleaners, farm workers, food preps and servers, industrial workers, truck drivers, store clerks, etc. this (consumer) world cannot function. It is toward this labour base that public education turns its linear gaze, and imparts its most important lessons -- that of consumerism as intelligent living, fear of authority or independent thought, and human kind as privileged and apart from the rest of life.

It is this very educational system -- destructive to society, the individual, and the environment -- that is designed and maintained by the governments controlled by the corporate/military sector, that has generated most of today's problems. Not something we should really pass on to other nations, yet the inequities for not having it certainly leave hungry nations out to dry. Many are hungry for the fact that Western industry has permeated their lands. If these corporations helped to educate the masses, there would be few local workers to serve their purposes, and too many to object to their operations. The other fact is that too many would not die, as has been intended not only by their nations' brutal leaders, but by the multinational corporations who want their lands for a song. Starving these people out, as with mono culture crops and forest clearance to grow corn for biodiesel, is a result of Western corporate influence on third world nations' greedy rulers. Most Western politicians have an education, as do third world rulers, but they've been taught by a flawed system focused on profit for the few.

As you state, education is key, but transforming our own Western model of it towards a responsible, sustainable example has been trumped by every old school economic card ever played. The Arts have been all but eliminated from the school curriculum, vital social programs rarely implemented, and vapid quantities of computations flood precious young minds to keep them from thinking for themselves, knowing themselves and the world around them.

A former list member, R.E.H. (Ray Evans Harrell), wrote extensively and most eloquently on the topic of education. I would urge you to peruse the archives for most any of his contributions. He felt, and could beautifully support his belief, that arts and culture are not only essential to society, but are the impetus and pulse of a healthy economy. I cannot hope to do justice to his views.

Third world nations should be encouraged to develop their own sustainable economies, and we owe it to them and the rest of the world to assist in every way possible. It's the world's privileged and greedy .01% that need to be convinced of this. Whether that will be by revolution evolution, or the necessities brought about by a changing and compromised environment, time will tell. If we fail to keep the topic alive, the New World Order will appear to have succeeded, but it will rot out in very short order. Then, after some healing, we'll begin again.

Welcome to the list,
Natalia Kuzmyn

Steph wrote:

    To All,

    As a new subscriber, I am awed at the intelligent conversations
    and have, so far, been very hesitant to comment on the subject
    matter.  However, this topic holds a special place for me.  I am
    by no means an expert but third world economics is a passion.  I
    have read recent conversations by this group on the subject and
    frankly, think the solution is too easy.  It's all about
    education.  This most recent data on education and literacy only
    proves my point.  Regardless of how the data was obtained, I think
    we can all agree that improved literacy rates can most certainly
    improve economies.  As I read articles or books on the economies
    of third world nations, I often wonder why more emphasis is not
    placed on literacy rates.

    Since third world nations cannot seem to get onto the first rung
    on the ladder of success, as some describe it, then climbing the
    ladder is out of the question.  But, I have a slightly different
    twist on recent theories.  Instead of concentrating on the
    millions of problems plaguing these nations, such as environment,
    infrastructure, or government, wouldn't it be better to focus on
    the root cause of the problem?  Because of the lack of literacy in
    these countries, they are unable to accomplish even the first rung
    on the the ladder.  How can they understand the importance of land
    conservancy or how important it is to build a solid infrastructure
    without education?  Not to mention the fact that they absolutely
    miss the technological band wagon!  With all of the hype from the
    G8 and NGOs concerning this subject, I hear very little about
focusing on improving literacy. To me, literacy is the key.
    When the work force can improve themselves, feel better about
    themselves, and contribute more efficiently to the economy, then
    these countries will reap the benefits.  Sounds simplistic since a
    majority of these countries lack the basic infrastructure to
    provide education in a meaningful and broad way.  But, to this
    argument, I say that you have to start somewhere.  Pouring money
    into these countries has not worked.  No one can agree to do the
    things that would make the world market more accessible or
    "fair".  If there was more of a concentration on education, I
    believe these countries could help themselves.  Let's start with
    the basics.

    Education means a feeling of success.  It means that a greater
    number of the workforce could meaningfully contribute.  It means
    making informed decisions as to how the population views or how it
    may select it's government.  It also means that people's minds
    might broaden to include new ideas.  Possibly, in my own dreamy
    world, it could mean a better understanding  and more acceptance
    of other's cultures.  The benefits for women I could expound upon
    forever.  Improved literacy rates for women would mean fewer
    children.  A huge untapped resource would enter the
    workforce.   Maybe, the sometimes backwards ideas of the role of
    women could be improved upon.

    Illiteracy is such a big problem in the world.  How could it not
    impact economies, especially third world economies, when literacy
    is the focus?

    Stephanie