Ed Weick wrote:
> I'm afraid I've come to the conclusion that, in human behaviour, there is
> not much to be distinguished between the past and the future.

If there's one point in studying history, it is to learn from it, in order
to avoid the old mistakes in the future.  This is what human progress is
(supposed to be) about.  But there are some forces who want to inhibit
this process because they benefit from repeating the same mistakes
(which for them are "not a bug, but a feature").

>  People look
> out for themselves even if they dress it up in fancy language like "free
> trade" and "spreading freedom and democracy".  And in looking out for
> themselves, they put much of the world at risk, often at terrible risk.

A common mistake is to mix up predators and their victims in the general
term "people" or "we".

> Many news articles have dealt with the burden imposed on Africa by European
> agricultural subsidies and on Mexico by American corn farming subsidies.
> Mexico, the mother of corn since ancient times, now imports huge quantities
> of subsidized corn from the US.  Under NAFTA, it can't stop the flow.  One
> of the few recources Mexican farmers have, other than starvation, is to try
> to get across the Rio Grande to make some money to keep their families
> alive.

Because "Under NAFTA, it can't stop the flow", international trade has to
be limited to the non-redundant items (i.e. no trade of corn between two
abundantly corn-producing countries).  Exchanging cheap labor is not a
solution to that problem -- it just serves the neocons, thereby rewarding
them for the first mistake!

Chris