171. The 'after-hours' scandal

How was it that ordinary investors (and pension funds) gained about 3 % a year between 1984 and 2002 while, during the same period, the average top 500 corporations gained 12 %? I had an intuitive sense that this might have been going on in the '60s when I was a young man investing in what the Americans call mutual funds and we call unit trusts. Somehow the fund in which I invested, which had been growing at a cracking pace for the previous few years, somehow slowed down. When the management's fee was taken out of the rise, there wasn't a fat lot left. I began to feel quite paranoic about this -- as though I was having some bad effect on anything I invested in.

After a year or two of this I realised that some sort of scams were involved and haven't invested since -- except in businesses which I started myself -- but I've often thought since then how it was that investment fund managers and pension fund trustees were able to perform so lamentably without being found out. Or perhaps they were just inefficient. But it couldn't have been that, surely! Even they could not be so inefficient unless they were trying hard at it.  Ove the course of time, I put my fingers on two practices which I thought were likely.

One is that a mutual fund corporation usually has many different funds. In fact,during good times, it is starting new ones all the time, each with a different equity flavour. They get them quoted for record purposes but don't advertise them and largely leave them alone for a year or two. In moderately good times, and especially in boom times, at least one of those funds will do especially well over a period of two or three years. It is then that the mutual fund selects the best, advertises it heavily and receives large inputs of ordinary investors' money. Its performance then drops down to the average.

Why this happened, as I thought, was that managers started to buy and sell the shares in its newly promoted fund just as fast as was possible, and thus having to pay commissions each time -- and thus picking up backhanders from stock brokers every time they did so. I then discovered that this was so and, in fact, it was so common that it had acquired a sobriquet -- 'share churning'. Fund managers were turning over shares every few months in companies such as oil corporations which should be invested in for years, even decades, at a time. This is how Warren Buffet invests his and his clients' money and, of course, it made him into a billionaire and his clients into millionaires over the course of time.

Well, that's about as far as I got in my arm's length examination of the ways of the stock market, its brokers, and its allied pension funds, life assurance businesses, mutual funds and the like -- the ultimate fallguy being the ordinary investor. If there were more fiddles then, as an outsider, I would be unable to discover them. But lately, with the huge losses made by many pension funds and life assurance companies and investigation by the New York state attorney, Elliot Spitzer, further nasty creatures are coming out of the woodwork. Somewhat more leisurely, the Financial Services Authority in England have been forced to take an interest.

By coincidence, two well-informed writers have contributed trenchant articles to the New York Times and the Financial Times on the same days on further scams of which I had no knowledge and I follow with them below for your edification if you are interested. The point that must be made here is an obvious one but it needs to be stated again. It is that until the scandals of the last 10-15 years (at least) are not sorted out and made fully transparent, the ordinary investor and pensioner has been so badly treated so far that he or she is never going to invest again in worthwhile quantities and will continue to carry on the present spending spree until catastrophe strikes. Instead of saving, and seeing their savings grow in order to make for a comfortable retirement, the average household pair now has debts above and beyond their mortgage of approaching $10,000. Half of those who have paid for their holidays in Benidorm by credit card have not even paid for the previous year's holiday. And half of those haven't paid for the year before that!

Although the ordinary investor and pensioner has been manipulated in criminal fashion by a large part of the financial services market, perhaps he or she is not quite so stupid. Perhaps he realises that the catastrophe will be so great that, if he is in danger of losing his job and not able to pay for his house and his debts, then the total national catastrophe will be so great that the government will have to step in and publish some sort of debt amnesty (as banks often have to do for their biggest debtors) and/or start currency inflation in earnest so that jobs and consumer spending can be re-stimulated and debts can be whittled down quickly with the declining value of money over a few years.

Keith Hudson
<<<<
FUNDS AND GAMES

Paul Krugman

You're selling your house, and your real estate agent claims that he's representing your interests. But he sells the property at less than fair value to a friend, who resells it at a substantial profit, on which the agent receives a kickback. You complain to the county attorney. But he gets big campaign contributions from the agent, so he pays no attention.

That, in essence, is the story of the growing mutual fund scandal. On any given day, the losses to each individual investor were small which is why the scandal took so long to become visible. But if you steal a little bit of money every day from 95 million investors, the sums add up. Arthur Levitt, the former Securities and Exchange Commission chairman, calls the mutual fund story "the worst scandal we've seen in 50 years" and no, he's not excluding Enron and WorldCom. Meanwhile, federal regulators, having allowed the scandal to fester, are doing their best to let the villains get off lightly.

Unlike the cheating real estate agent, mutual funds can't set prices arbitrarily. Once a day, just after U.S. markets close, they must set the prices of their shares based on the market prices of the stocks they own. But this, it turns out, still leaves plenty of room for cheating.

One method is the illegal practice of late trading managers let favored clients buy shares after hours. The trick is that on some days, late-breaking news clearly points to higher share prices tomorrow. Someone who is allowed to buy on that news, at prices set earlier in the day, is pretty much assured of a profit. This profit comes at the expense of ordinary investors, who have in effect had part of their assets sold off at bargain prices.

Another practice takes advantage of "stale prices" on foreign stocks. Suppose that a mutual fund owns Japanese stocks. When it values its own shares at 4 p.m., it uses the closing prices from Tokyo, 14 hours earlier. Yet a lot may have happened since then. If the news is favorable for Japanese stocks, a mutual fund that holds a lot of those stocks will be underpriced, offering a quick profit opportunity for someone who buys shares in the fund today and unloads those shares tomorrow. This isn't illegal, but a mutual fund that cared about protecting its investors would have rules against such rapid-fire deals. Indeed, many funds do have such rules but they have been enforced only for the little people.

In some cases fund managers traded for their own personal gain. In other cases hedge funds, which represent small numbers of wealthy investors, were allowed to enrich themselves. In return, it seems, they found ways to reward the managers. You make us rich, we'll make you rich, and the middle-class investors who trusted us with their money will never know what happened.

And there's probably more. During last year's corporate scandals, each major company that came under the spotlight turned out to have engaged in some original scams. By analogy, it's a good guess that the mutual fund industry was cheating its clients in other ways that haven't yet come to light. Stay tuned.

Oh, and about that corrupt county attorney last year it seemed, for a while, that corporate scandals and the obvious efforts by the administration and some members of Congress to head off any close scrutiny of executive evildoers would become a major political issue. But the threat was deftly parried a few perp walks created the appearance of reform, a new S.E.C. chairman replaced the lamentable Harvey Pitt, and then we were in effect told to stop worrying about corporate malfeasance and focus on the imminent threat from Saddam's W.M.D.

Now history is repeating itself. The S.E.C. ignored warnings about mutual fund abuses, and had to be forced into action by Eliot Spitzer, the New York attorney general. Having finally brought a fraud suit against Putnam Investments, the S.E.C. was in a position to set a standard for future prosecutions; sure enough, it quickly settled on terms that amount to a gentle slap on the wrist. William Galvin, secretary of the commonwealth of Massachusetts who is investigating Putnam, which is based in Boston summed it up "They're not interested in exposing wrongdoing; they're interested in giving comfort to the industry."

I wonder what they'll use to distract us this time?

New York Times -- 18 November 2003

<<<<
TIME TO SHAKE UP FUND DIRECTORS

John Gapper

Who says craft workers in declining industries cannot adapt to technological change? Take Local Lodge No 5 of the International Brotherhood of Boilermakers, Iron Ship Builders, Blacksmiths, Forgers and Helpers in New York: so flexible were 28 of its members that they learnt to arbitrage mutual funds.

And how well they did! Each gained between $100,000 and $lm over three years by buying and selling shares in Putnam's Voyager international equity fund between 3pm and 4pm each day -- a time that became known as "boilermaker hour" at Putnam's office in Norwood, Massachusetts. It beats building iron ships.

As we now know, they were not alone in exploiting mutual fund inefficiencies through "market timing": they joined fund advisers and hedge funds in siphoning returns from savings and retirement funds. Lawrence Lasser, former chief executive of Putnam Funds, is among the fund managers who have lost their jobs as a result.

But the burgeoning market timing scandal -- potentially the worst since the 1940 Investment Company Act that established the industry -- is not the only reason for concern about mutual funds. A bigger worry is that these funds are now marketed and sold to retail customers in ways that cut returns and undermine their value as long-term investments.

Dalbar, the research group, has estimated that investors in equity funds achieved returns of 2.6 per cent a year between 1984 and 2002, compared with an annual return of 12.2 per cent for the S&P500 index. Given that $7,000bn (£4,100bn) is invested in mutual funds, losses from underperformance exceed by far the $4bn annual loss to market timing and late trading estimated by Eric Zitzewitz of Stanford University.

Mutual fund investors earn such poor returns for two reasons. One is the high fees and costs: not only do investors pay management fees, and "loads" for entering or leaving funds, but returns are reduced by the costs of buying and selling securities. These include soft commissions paid to brokers out of fund assets.

John Bogle, founder of Vanguard Group, estimates that funds charged customers (also known as their shareholders) $62bn last year, of which only $4bn was spent on investment advisory services. Mr Bogle puts the total cost of investing in the average equity mutual fund at 2.5 to 3 per cent of assets, which takes a substantial bite out of long-term returns.

The second problem is the version of market timing in which mutual fund investors increasingly indulge -- encouraged by brokers and marketing from fund advisers. They switch funds ever more rapidly, chasing the latest type of fund to have achieved high returns over the previous year -- from small-cap equities to bonds.

Their own fees pay for advertisements luring them into this approach: a symptom of an industry that, as Mr Bogle puts it, focuses increasingly on speculation rather than investment. Not only does that raise transaction costs -- each stock in a fund is now held for an average of only 11 months -- but rapid-fire asset allocation tends to fail dismally.

Add all of that up, and it is not surprising that there are broad calls for a root-and-branch reform of the industry, which invests the savings of 95m Americans. Yet here is the oddity: in many ways, it is already extremely well designed to prevent investors being abused. The difficulty is that the design does not work in practice.

The theoretical beauty of the 1940 Act is that it places power in the hands of fund investors by making them all shareholders. Each fund has a board of directors that controls the assets, and appoints an adviser to invest them wisely. If the advisory firm -- be it Fidelity or Putnam -- performs poorly or charges excessive fees, it can simply be replaced by another.

In practice, as Warren Buffett succinctly put it in his letter to Berkshire Hathaway shareholders this year: "A monkey will type out a Shakespeare play before an 'independent' mutual fund director will suggest that his fund look at other managers." The reality is that advisers in effect control mutual fund boards, and, through them, investors.

There is an ingenious argument within the mutual fund industry that all this is as it should be. Investors choose fund managers rather than funds and would not like it if a board of directors fired Fidelity from managing a Fidelity fund. But if that is true (and recent events may change investors' minds), it suggests that mutual fund boards are merely convenient charades.

At one level, this is discouraging: there is no obvious structural way to remedy the industry's ills if a structure exists, but is ignored. Yet it also provides grounds for hope. If a few directors were publicly taken to task for neglecting their duties, the others would probably wake up. Now is the time for examples to be made pour encourager les autres.

Financial Times
-- 18 November 2003

Keith Hudson, Bath, England, <www.evolutionary-economics.org>