I invite you all to re-visit Allen Ginsberg's Howl.

Appropriate for the times.

-----Original Message-----
From: Darryl and Natalia [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 19, 2003 1:07 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]; Ed Weick; Cordell, Arthur: ECOM; [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Toward a spiritual renaissance

Hi Lawry,

Your hope for guidance from Canada to help the US find its way toward peaceful resolve is by far more logical than anything that is likely to transpire. It is flattering to Canadians, yet I don't believe that Canada, in these days of increasingly influential corporate agendas, is necessarily the country to lead the way as a beacon. I will second Ed's opinion of Paul Martin's intended directions and would concur that we are not far behind the U.S. in arriving at some huge seeming impasses.

I don't believe you are looking exclusively at a Western decline in morals and culture. I believe that that is a global symptom of collective guilt, and heaven is where you are if you are willing to choose for it. Relocating for the sake of leading the way by example is tempting, but in the long run merely results in another distraction, another imagined separation from the so-called "evil" around you. With such judgment, you presume a position you do not have, and will augment your fears. Trust in the world, do what you feel is right and help others by walking ahead of them a little as you can easily do, Lawry, but if you give up your own sense of peace because of insanity in one or many, you give up on humanity. In so doing you show the world that peace cannot triumph, that it is in itself unattainable, and forgiveness impossible. I'm sure you know that peace is not only true, but is the only thing that does work, and it is a choice from moment to moment. I suspect you may also understand that forgiveness is the closest thing that we have to heaven on earth. Trust in the world and all life because it is governed by a power that is in all of us, but not of us.

This having been said, I wish to clarify that should the world simply ignore error, we allow ourselves to be misled, and do a disservice to both the victim and the victimizer. If we or others are not accountable, no progress transpires. The Whitehouse appears to be the monster today, but tomorrow will reveal other monsters behind the puppet government.

When I was in Maui about 16 years ago, there had been but one or two serious crimes on the island for many years prior.
People were friendly and warm. It was not overly tourist-ridden, and I looked forward to its independence from the U.S., but never thought that possible. We heard from Darryl's Ex, who was living on the big island, that the few remaining royal  Hawaiian descendants were planning secession, and then came Ray's article on the very same thread that a document was submitted to Congress after all. New York in 1980 or so, following the Canadian assisted rescue of prisoners in Iran, was so open to Canadians that Darryl and I were given free lunches in a restaurant and even free clothing in Manhattan just for being Canadian. Things change all the time. Mecca is no longer Mecca, but it is and never really was. Americans are just as capable of sanity as they are capable of being misled, and it is within them as it is within Iraqis to find their own way out of fear. If and when they are ready for international input, it will surely be there, though that help may take a different form than anticipated.

Being vigilant to a politician's psyche by observing facial nuances and the like, though fascinating to observe, will not necessarily lead you much closer to truth behind the scenes. We already know that Bush is far more insane than the rest of us, and that most news we seek out with regard to his actions basically boils down to the same news event, over and over-- Just how insane is he? Or anyone in that position of power? The Bush administration was established by other far more influential people, and therefore Bush's team may well be the last to know what's going down. Economies change, new people seem to emerge as threats, money begets more money and poverty sux. Wars are ongoing worldwide, and our judgment of the U.S. certainly takes our minds off of The District of Congo, the twenty million baby girls who are murdered by their own parents for being the wrong sex, or the countless other holocausts of history. The policy of scapegoating the "evil" onto a nation outside of our own is the same one we apply to our personal lives when we project. We must do what we can to deny what is not truth, to remove the blocks to love within and then of course do our best to ensure that government policies reflect that in just governance. Though the US is most influential, it is abundantly clear that lately its guidance has been selective and self-serving. But that will change. It will grow out of the adolescent stage to earnestly embrace other nations--down the road. Be patient with its fears as much as with your own.

One thing that is crystal clear to me is that trying to solve the world's problems over my own lifetime is investment in fear. There have been thousands of civilizations that fractured fear into what it has become, and it will take time, as long as it takes, to undo it before we all invest in what really matters. What is important is to live in your own mind with peace at your side, and to remember that healing does not come from treating symptoms, but from taking form around a peaceful attitude of mind and thereby changing the content. If we ourselves are not peaceful, we cannot be truly kind or helpful. We do not react to fact, we react to interpretations around a fact. By making our perceptions real, we try to offer ingenious ways of solving problems, political, economic, religious or social, to magically escape from them. But upon making these interpretations real, we cannot escape from them in order to stand back and look at them in a clear light. Ego mind is always trying to understand what is initiated by itself. It's the classic revolving door syndrome. Peace and Do Unto Others is also a dream, but one that will sit better with your thoughts than the chronic anxiety of feeling that you and like-minded must be the ones to rescue the world.

Form through which we communicate is not important. Places and things, special people, rituals and prayers are not important. What is significant is the love that speaks through us when we join with the love that is in us but not of us, the love that joins with truth (higher self), and connects with that place of peace in others that we all share.

I read that when Beethoven's close friend's husband had died, he did what he felt he could do that was most helpful. He said to her, "Tonight we shall speak together in tones", then simply sat down to the piano and played to her for two and a half hours. She was much relieved.

Natalia