Hello all,

For those of you who follow fvwm-workers@ may already know some of this, but
for those of you who don't, it's worth mentioning what the state of fvwm
development holds for the future.

We have been discussing a lot about how we're able to make changes to fvwm
without breaking it for everyone.  As many will know doubt know, fvwm is
well-over twenty years old and in some cases it shows, too!  Trying to bring
fvwm up to date with newer technologies, and to even make small improvements
has a very high barrier to entry, especially when trying to maintain backwards
compatibility.  Over the years, we've had a loyal number of users who have
come to rely on a lot of nuances and behaviour which we don't necessarily want
to take away.

To that end, the latest stable release (2.6.7) marks the end of the line for
fvwm2.  This release is unique because it was my opportunity to remove all of
the modules which I thought were no longer providing anything useful (because
the functionality no longer exists outside of fvwm in certain applications, or
because more widely-used modules in fvwm provided equivalent/better
funtionality).  Indeed, this releases also includes a new default
configuration.  I hope you find it useful.

But I suppose it's fair to say that 2.6.7 won't necessarily appeal to some of
the dyed-in-the-wool types for whom changes is too much, and/or cannot live
with that really old module which works Just Fine (tm) as it is.  Well, that's
OK as well, since we also have everything as it was before on the
'fvwm2-stable' branch.  So if you want to use things like FvwmTaskBar, for
example, that's the release you should use.  This branch may, occasionally,
receive bug-fixes over time, but certainly nothing else.

In fact, I'm not envisaging any further work happening on fvwm2.X at all.  So
what does this mean for fvwm?  In order for us to continue to make larger
changes, we need to be able to break backwards compatibility and to make a lot
of structural changes.  All of this goes towards a lot of other changes we'd
like to make.  This therefore means that we will look at fvwm3 to do this.
This will be different to fvwm2.

We're in the process of setting up fvwm3, and there'll be additional
announcements when this is complete.

For a reference on the releases, see the following:

https://github.com/fvwmorg/fvwm#releases

Any questions, do please ask.

Kindly,
Thomas Adam