On Sun, Sep 25, 2005 at 12:32:55AM +0200, Viktor Griph wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Sep 2005, Dominik Vogt wrote:

> >>The difference between button 1 and 3 has historical reasons.
> >>Normally, actions are triggered by a button release.  This allows
> >>to change your mind while the button is pressed and abort the
> >>action by pressing Escape or another mouse button.  However, when
> >>you place a window with button 3 this indicates that you want to
> >>resize the window immediately.  Hence the move ends and the resize
> >>starts when you press the button.  Releasing the button ends the
> >>resize.
> >
> >Actually what I described is true for button 2, not 3 :-P
> Your reply made me see that there was a reason (ability to cancel
> palcement after you have pressed the button, and I think I will make all
> button press that places windows work as button one currently in that
> aspect, and have all canceling buttons work the other way around)
>

> >Usually you have a button pressed when you move a window, so
> >releasing the button ends the motion.  That is not true during
> >initial window placement.  In this case the move could end on
> >button 1 press.  However, finding out if any button is pressed
> >when the move-operation starts is not trivial.
> >
> Now, this is a configuration question. I tend to have something like
> DestroyFunc MoveFunction
> AddToFunc MoveFunction
> + M Move
> + H Raise
> + H Move
> + C Move
>
> which I bind to a button on the title bar. That makes it possible to move
> a window by either click once and release the button or my press and hold
> the button while moving. If I click and release the button the window will
> be moved until I press a button again to place it. With the current code
> it will be placeable by button 1, 2 (this is a bug, but need for anyone
> to fix it. It will be fixed with the feature I'm almost done with) or 3.

(It would be helpful to agree on common terms here:  pressing a
mouse button means to hold down the button without releasing it,
while clicking a button means to press it and release it
immediately.)

What is the bug you think of?  I don't see anything I would not
expect:

  * When I press the button and start moving immediately,
    releasing the button places the window, pressing button 3
    places the window and any other button aborts the action.

  * When I press the button and hold for a moment before moving,
    it works exactly the same (except that the window is raised).

  * When I click (press and release) a mouse button, the move
    operation starts.  Now, clicking button 1 and pressing button
    3 places the window and pressing button 2 aborts the
    operation.

As far as I know this is all documented in the man page, although
it may not be very intuitive.

(All of this works with "Emulate Mwm"; with "Emulate Fvwm",
pressing button 2 places the window instead of aborting the
operation).

[snip]

Ciao