On 21 Apr 2003 11:47:44 +0200, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Sun, Apr 20, 2003 at 04:00:23PM +0000, Mikhael Goikhman wrote:
> > All pages seem to be converted. The new design is pretty usable now
> > although it does not have yet all planned extra features.
> >
> > Please test it at http://fvwm.org/index.php
> >
> > I think we may make it the default today.
> >
> > The old pages may still be here, but they should be removed in some
> > near future after error404 supports the old-to-new url mapping.
> >
> > BTW, thanks to Uwe who did all the design scripting.
>
> Ahem, before that happens, a couple of important things have to
> happen:
>
>  1) Any windows-like decorations have to vanish.  Especially the
>     big X in title button 1.

I don't see currently any windows-like decorations, just cde-like ones.
I think that a missing close button is a feature (misfeature) of CDE/MWM,
it has nothing to do with our window manager that is configurable.

Besides, this "X" has a purpose, it is used to switch to another (plain)
layout, try it. :)

I thought about other buttons, something like:

  menu button - may open a real menu using javascript that for example
    shows a list of layouts (themes) and navigation tools to choose from
  maximize button - may disable pager (WindowList-like navigation?)
  close button - closes windows and pager like now

I also thought about using the maximize button to switch to plain layout,
but it's probably less intuitive for a random user. I let Uwe to decide.

I am not sure how this "X" may be confused with Windows. It is everywhere
now for usability. Does Windows support vector drawing? It is drawn from:

  ButtonStyle 2 Vector 17 \
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] \
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] \
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

I think the following close button may look nicer, but less official:

  ButtonStyle 2 Vector 16 \
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] \
[EMAIL PROTECTED] [EMAIL PROTECTED] \

>  2) The number of icons on the page has to reduce dramatically.

I think that we need an alternative navigation to the pager
(WindowList like or other). But the default may be a pager.

The plain layout is very fast, when a user sets it (later), it is
used for the entire site forever.

Alternativelly an option may be used to disable all pager icons
(but then the pager will not be compact and nice).

>  3) Is *must* be possible to get to the logo competition rules
>     without loading a page that shows all the submitted logos.

The logo-competition/index page does not show any submitted logos, just
2 links, to the previous logos and to new ones (to be submitted yet).

> And I think it would look better if the pager bar started below
> the page title, not at the top of the page:
>
>   +-----------------------------------+
>   | The Official FVWM Home Page       |
>   || bla bla                || pager ||

I have no opinion here. I think the pager will not look nicer/more usable
if there is a void space. But maybe Uwe may suggest some nice layout. :)

I don't really see any of these as show stoppers. What others think?

Regards,
Mikhael.