On Mon, 17 Jul 2006, Dominik Vogt wrote:

On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 03:47:13PM +0100, seventh guardian wrote:
Hi.

I have a question. Is the flag vs. !flag syntax the prefered one? I
ask this because even though some styles only have the !(stylename)
counterpart, some are still documented as (stylename)Off. So if the
flag negation is prefered to the (stylename) vs. (stylename)Off, or
the other way round, then it should be explicit in the man page. This
is the only way we can avoid compatibility confusion in a future
version.

My opinion is that the flag vs. !flag style is simpler to parse, and
it should be prefered. the (stylename)Off code should be maintained
for compatibility's sake, but marked as deprecated.

The "!" negation style is preferred.  I coded it for exactly the
reasons you describe.  There are so many different typed of on/off
syntax.

Should the old style negation options be deprecated in the code (give warnings) before 2.6?

/Viktor