2009/9/4 Lucio Chiappetti <lu...@lambrate.inaf.it>:
> Let me rephrase my request of 2 Sep 2009. Maybe this could be an
> fvwm-compliant solution to my need (repeated at bottom).
>
> Is there an fvwm way by which I can :
>
>  - associate to an application (which could be a do-nothing application
>    e.g. an xterm with a special title never opened, always iconized)
>    an icon which is partially transparent (say a large red ellipse with
>    the interior transparent)

No -- applications define for themselves the icon to use.  This is
sometimes changeable via ~/.Xdefaults by perhaps issuing a new PCF to
use.  Depends on the application though.

>  - define such icon so that it is always at the front of any other
>    application even if in full screen (I suppose styles of
>    Sticky, WindowListSkip, StaysOnTop, NoTitle will do)

Layer 9

... would be more sufficient.

>  - bind the mouse to the icon so that it is moved centered on the mouse

See the "Mouse" command.

>  - but allow mouse clicks (and keyboard actions) to be passed to the
>    underlying application as normal

That will happen anyway, so nothing special should be needed here.