On Mon, Apr 05, 2010 at 06:48:22PM -0300, Eric Cristianini wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have developed a module for/with fvwm 2.4.20 and have it deployed
> over 1.000 machines, all touchscreen, no keyboard/mouse. Basically
> its like the FvwmButtons application.. but it let me create and
> group buttons.. or have them floating.

So this is bespoke?  Is *it* FvwmButtons, or something you've created
yourself?  If so, I dread to think what it might be, but hopefully it's
academic for the purposes of this email.

> So far, the behavior with the "NeverFocus" style option was... "any
> button i click gets activated".. and thats the correct behavior i
> want.. any button on the screen that gets clicked.. do its action.

Err, no.  NeverFocus simply doesn't pass the click to the application at
all to focus it.  As such, you can still use the click to do thing with the
application, but if it's a terminal, for instance, typing intp it is going
to be a problem.

Now, with {Mouse,Sloppy}Focus, the *EFFECT* (and I mean that strongly) will
be such that the pointer entering into said application which has NeverFocus
applied will look as though the clicks are to the window with focus -- but
only because of how NeverFocus works.  Please tell me you can understand
this?

> Yesterday i had to do a clean install in an identical machine, but
> this time i installed from scratch.. fvwm 2.4.20 same linux as the
> other machines....

Use 2.5.X -- if you can't roll that out, more fool you.

> For my surprise the click/focus behavior is way diff now...
> everytime i click something not focused it just do nothing....
> removing my mouse bindinds and using the original fvwm config.... i
> can see it shows me the root (builtin) menu... even if i clicked on
> an app (not focused)

Sounds like a Numlock problem to me, but can't say for certain.

> To make things a bit easier to understand... lets say i open 2
> "xman" for example... side to side... if i click on "help" of the
> first.. it will just focus it... if i click on "help" of the
> second.. it will move the focus to that... not running the option.

Is this still with NeverFocus?  I've noticed some applications ignore this,
most likely because of XSetInputFocus().  What's that?  ICCCM you say?
Pfft, like authors listen to that these days...

> That said i tried all documented focus/click options, no love... the
> point here is the fvwm versions are the same... configuration
> ditto... i tried the default fvwm2rc that comes, same thing... but
> all the other machines runs fine, with just the install of app and
> replacement of system.fvwm2rc

Then are you really running the versions of software you claim?

"It was the cruelest game I've ever played and it's played inside my head."
-- "Hush The Warmth", Gorky's Zygotic Mynci.