On Thu, Jul 29, 2010 at 09:50:39PM -0400, Giovanni Tumiati wrote:
> Thomas Adam wrote:
> >I toy with this idea at least three times a year, which must mean something.
> >:)  I know I've asked this in the past of most people, but I will ask it
> >again -- not so much in terms of the particulars -- but if there's enough
> >interest.
> >
> >Would a book on FVWM be useful?
> I hope there *is* enough interest because an FVWM book would be
> useful to me.
> However I would not necessarily need a paper book - a pdf (or some
> such) version would be adequate,
> although NoStarch press books have been reasonable.

The distribution format is irrespective of whether it's published or not,
and most publishers are keen on electronic formats these days, as well as
paper editions.

> >I am thinking more in terms of discussing how/what to do with FVWM, and
> >what's needed to achieve it.  The standards behind how FVWM manages windows,
> >and how FVWM allows the user to control what this means, etc.
> That kind of book would help current users certainly, and may also
> elicit interest in others - is one of the
> objectives to have the book expand the user base?

Hell, no.  I have no interest in attracting more users; merely documenting
this for those who already know about FVWM.

> Do you have an idea what the table of contents would contain
> (roughly of course)?

*   Preface...
*   Introduction / Explanation as to what window management is (c.f. with
    role within X11, etc.)
*   History of FVWM (via comparison with other WMs).  Explain what FVWM
    is, and why it came about.
*   Components of FVWM
       - Installation (via distributions).
       - Via vanilla tarball.
*   Comparison of FVWM 2.4.X / 2.5.X (or just run with 2.5.X and where
    necessary add an addendum/footnote where there's any differences in
    syntax.
*   Setup
       - Base setup from tarball (FvwmFormSetup).
         (Distros tend not to provide pre-built .fvwm2rc files in lieu of
         this).
       - Example .fvwm2rc files distributed with the tarball (?)

       - fvwm-{themes,crystal} - but see later chapters?
*   Generic Concepts
       - Command-line switches to FVWM.
       - Structure / explanation of .fvwm2rc file with rationale for
         recommendation as to why it is that way.  (Some aspects of the
         file are order dependant still).
*   Functions
       - Builtin functions (a la ConfigFvwmDefaults).
       - User-defined functions (a la StartFunction).