On Mon, 20 Jun 2016, lee wrote:

Interesting :)  It seems very confusing, though.  How do you remember
what is where?  I have a plain setup with just 6x6 pages and many times
have to flip between them to find the particular page I want to go to.

Well, after a long time working with 2 desktops each 2x2 pages, a while ago I junked the idea of separate desktops and pages. Now I have only 7 desktops each of 1 page (well, I have buttons to switch them to 2x1 1x2 and 2x2 but I'd never used them).

I have the pager almost invariably exposed, and know which desk I am in because it is highlighted in the pager in a different colour.

Three of the desks are named Mail Web and Net, the other are ABCD. I know in which desk I am also by a label in the bottom right corner, and by the background colour of the root window.

Although I have root menu entries and keyboard accelerators to switch desktops, I almost invariably do it clicking on the pager,

To know which application is in which desk, I usually rely on habits (mail is in Mail, browser is in Web, virtual machines if any are in Net etc.) and on the miniicons in the pager,

In the rare case I forgot what is where (e.g. for the xclipboard, or because the window is hidden), I use MB2 bound to FvwmWinList, which lists all my windows by title, so I can switch there easily,

I do use a lot the "sticky" mode of the window menu, to move a window across desktops (I make it sticky so it appears on all, switch to the final desktop, and unstick it), however I have also functions in the window menu to move the window to a specific desktop and I use them sometimes.

You can get a flavour of the old and new approaches (and the configs) in
http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/WWW/Opinions/window.html

Do not like Firefox >=29 ?  Get Pale Moon !  http://www.palemoon.org