On Tue, 4 Jun 2019, Ronald F. Guilmette wrote:

Grrr.  I can't imagine why this would be so hard.  I didn't think
what I wanted to do would be so complex.  Again, I just want a
digital xclock to appear in the blank space below the xbiff thingy
in the default theme.

AFAIK there is no such thing as a "default theme" (valid for any fvwm installation anywhere). There could be a "system default" bundled in your OS distro (different for each distro).

You have to locate that, copy it to your ~/.fvwm/.fvwm2rc (so that all the system stuff is now "yours") and try to play with that adding (patiently) one thing at a time.