On Mon, 21 Sep 2020, Martin wrote:

Now I would like to draw text in the upper left corner (output of khal, showing my calendar). ... does not show up in background mode.

Not sure what you mean by "background mode", on the root window ? I guess it could be obtained with some Style options.

About putting text labels, I have some, which are realized via FvwmButtons. Namely I have one called MyLabel which puts a motto in a random font on the bottom left of each page, and one called MyDesk which puts the desktop name in the bottom right corner (and updates automatically when I switch desk)

I have forgottem how I did it, but you can get a feeling of the look in
http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/WWW/Opinions/window.html#tre
and further down there is a link to the config file which does that
http://sax.iasf-milano.inaf.it/~lucio/WWW/Opinions/fvwmrc.now

Feel free to inspire ... but expect no more support :-)

Hope it helps

--
Lucio Chiappetti - INAF/IASF - via Corti 12 - I-20133 Milano (Italy)
"Can you see Enrico Fermi punching a time clock? There are effective