On Sat, 2024-02-03 at 22:05 +0000, Thomas Adam wrote:
> [...]
> GTK and QT dropping support for XLib, that's the time to worry -- as there
> could, in theory, be a time when Firefox or Chromium no longer run under X
> directly, without forcing a Wayland compositor.  That's the real
> nail-in-the-coffin.

It's already there in that the gnome developers seem to be planning to
drop all X11 support, and gnome won't run under X11 anymore.  Once
that happened, there may come up intentions to remove all the X11
cruft from GTK and QT: Who's gona maintain it when it's no longer
used anyway?

> So, I'll keep fvwm alive for as long as I can, but I really can't see how
> there could ever be a Wayland compositor.

I still don't see why it shouldn't be possible.  I never expected a
port, and I understand that the architectures of X11 and Wayland are
very different.  Yet why shouldn't it be possible to create a
compositor that provides the configurability fvwm has and which is so
badly lacking in Gnome and KDE?

Gnome doesn't even allow you to configure a program to start with
floating sticky windows so you have to set that manually every time
the program starts, and that totally sucks.  Last time I checked, KDE
could do it --- and I like KDE better than gnome, but KDE has always
been rather slow and too buggy.  Fvwm can do tiling very well, using
the tiling extension, and neither Gnome nor KDE come anywhere close.

I had fvwm configured such that it managed the windows for me.  Gnome
and KDE will probably never be able to do that and will continue to
force me to manage them myself.

Is it really impossible to create a wayland compositor that provides
the required functionality?