On 8/2/24 11:55, Chris Bennett wrote:
How many here have grey beards? I hope "somebody" (without grey beard but with
a lot of time) makes a sane X11 emulation layer. On the other hand, OpenBSD is alive and
has it's own heavily patched Xorg called Xenocara and they most likely won't let that go.
So maybe porting Xenocara to linux is a better way to go.

Nik
I cannot imagine OpenBSD will give up it's special Xenocara.
OpenBSD kept it's own specially patched Apache 1.39 for years to keep Apache
within the base OS. The newer Apache 2 license was unacceptable for base
OS requirements.
I cannot confirm this, but rumor has it that Theo, the forker of OpenBSD
from NetBSD uses FVWM, so I would bet that even though Wayland is being
brought in, Xorg as Xenocara will be here to stay.

That would not surprise me at all. OpenBSD's FVWM is the v1 release of FVWM for what it's worth (although fvwm2 was in ports, probably fvwm3 now).

There's a (understandably) very strong preference for MIT/BSD licensed code in OpenBSD's base.

I like FVWM because I can pretty much do whatever I want to take the
time to think up and make it happen. I just can't do that with the other
WM's I like.
Also, it's lightweight, which is a must.

Indeed. I don't mind some of the applications from the big desktop environments, but the major Wayland-enabled desktops themselves are inflexible and bloated.
--
Stuart Longland (aka Redhatter, VK4MSL)

I haven't lost my mind...
  ...it's backed up on a tape somewhere.