On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 10:29:20AM -0500, source liu wrote:
> > No -- you asked for what you got here, when you said "Destroy".  So I am not
> > surprised the application closed all its windows.  It did exactly what you
> > asked it to.
>
> I see, maybe i should repent myself,  i regarded *destroy* as the
> enforced version of *close*.

Nope.  That's backwards.

Close in FVWM terms, first sends a Delete and then a Destroy.  Delete is
defined in the ICCCM spec which some applications can feel free to ignore.
So in your case, by issuing a Destroy command you're doing more damage
because in that case the result is often to get the process managing that
window to be killed, or some other undefined behaviour I can't tell you
without looking at the source to a program.

> and it also enforced the number of windows  :)  should i cheer for the
> result which i got that that i

See above.

> expect?
>
> btw,  if you use emacs M-x into the shell mode, and type emacs to
> start another emacs,
>
> and when you perform the *destory* on the latter one,  the first one
> remains ( of course,  perform *destory*
> on the first one would destory the latter one, as expected),
>
> what is the difference between the case i mentioned earlier( for
> scilab), and this case.

See above.  You want to always use "Close" which will always try and Do The
Right Thing (tm).

-- Thomas Adam