source liu <sourceo...@gmail.com> writes:

>> No -- you asked for what you got here, when you said "Destroy".  So I am not
>> surprised the application closed all its windows.  It did exactly what you
>> asked it to.
>
> I see, maybe i should repent myself,  i regarded *destroy* as the
> enforced version of *close*.
> and it also enforced the number of windows  :)  should i cheer for the
> result which i got that that i
> expect?
>
> btw,  if you use emacs M-x into the shell mode, and type emacs to
> start another emacs,
>
> and when you perform the *destory* on the latter one,  the first one
> remains ( of course,  perform *destory*
> on the first one would destory the latter one, as expected),
>
> what is the difference between the case i mentioned earlier( for
> scilab), and this case.

I'm assuming (I don't use/know scilab) that it launches these plot
windows in the same process as the main application, so if you end up
destroying the entire application. Starting emacs from emacs otoh
creates a subprocess (I'm probably butchering terminology here, but I
hope the idea is clear) so you end up only killing that subprocess
whereas if you kill the parent process the child processes also get
killed.

Kind regards,

Bert Geens