On Wed, 21 Jan 2015, Chris Siebenmann wrote:

2) I want to keep the current date on the screen

You want the old standby 'xclock', specifically 'xclock -digital'
(possibly with '-strftime' as well

Don't know why I junked it with a "don't like" back in 2006. As a clock I rather liked Jamie Zawinksi's xdaliclock (although at the time I did not realize he was the author). For date I liked rclock (which is also an appointment manager ... just use it to tell me when to take a pill and when to go home, or occasional to the dentist :-))

Anyhow now I have a solution which works with a crontab, so it is a waste to keep there a process for something which occurs once a day.

Do not like Firefox >=29 ?  Get Pale Moon !  http://www.palemoon.org