On 27/10/10 21:53, Peter Addy wrote:

> Please help asap
>
> Does anyone know why there would be any good reason to create vrrp addreses
> and then assign these to the physical interfaces, rather than using manual
> proxy arp entries?.
>
> I have a configuration where there are no manaul proxy arp entries, but there
> is vrrp addreses which are the actual object addresses which are in the nat
> policy on the firewall, these are the addresses that are on the physical
> interfaces
>
> finally is it safe to simply move all these and simply add manual arp
> entries, surely this is best practice to remove and add manual nat and not to
> have proxy addresses assigned to the interfaces with virtual routers etc

First off. Any assistence here is done so unpaid and putting ASAP's and
stuff like that is usually not a recommendation towards the poster of
the question.

A lot of people don't really know how to properly install and maintain
firewalls. Most of the times due to the fact that they also need to keep
up a server farm and a bundle of switches and even applications on PC's.
And it is hard to do everything and do it well at the same time.

So in that regard the question of why someone did this is not really useful.

Hugo.

--
hvdko...@vanderkooij.org               http://hugo.vanderkooij.org/

Scanned by Check Point Total Security Gateway.