Piers Cawley wrote:

> > I think a weekend would be fine (i.e. 2 non-working days)
>
> I don't. I don't tend to do much coding on the weekend, but I do quite
> a bit in the evening and on the train during the week. And I think

This is very personal, I don't have much free time during the (working)
week and even I prefer not to code in the evening after a nasty long
working days... you got that, don't you?

Well perhaps most people don't have work to do, I don't know... :/

> that drawing a distinction between newbies and gurus is somewhat
> invidious too, but I can't begin to articulate why.

?)

> >> This seems fair to me.  First in Best dressed.  I don't think that
> >> efficiency and Golf should ever be mentioned in the same sentence :)
> >
> > `First wins' is not good IMO, perhaps some additional scoring like
> > for example using non-average(usual) solution is better? this is
> > arguable of cource but it is just an idea... of cource this won't
> > be factor for different strokes count solutions...
>
> The beauty of 'first in breaks the tie' is that it's objective. Which

Depends very much of the free time you can use! It is *NOT* objective unless
you get all players in a room and you give them timelimit!

> is a good thing. And even if you did come up with a subjective measure
> based on 'non standardness' or 'elegance' or whatever, the results
> show that once you get down to minimal length, often the only
> difference between two solutions is the choice of variable names or
> where they put the brackets in a regex, so you'd need another tie
> breaker anyway.
>
> It might be nice to see a "Judge's Prize" for the solution that the
> judge liked best. It doesn't even have to be the shortest. (It doesn't
> even have to qualify, given how much "-p 11..&" tickled the judge this
> time 'round)

voting between players? long-term leaderboard? finally this is not easy
problem...

> >> No more than 6.
> >
> > 8 :)
>
> Well, it is a round number, I'll give you that. But I think I prefer six.

4.

> >> This level was good. As a newbie, I was certain that I could
> >> complete the game thought I wouldn't be too far off the pace.
> >
> > nothing is too easy :) I think any task wich can be solved with
> > regular, readable, non-tricky, few lines (screenpage?) solution will
> > be ok
>
> Easy is definitely good. It might be nice to see one hole be a 'Take
> this program and make it shorter' type challenge though. And that
> could be something with reasonably complex behaviour...

YES! I like it... :)

P! Vladi.
--
Vladi Belperchinov-Shabanski <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Personal home page at http://www.biscom.net/~cade