Ilmari Karonen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Besides, aren't single quotes special for s/// and y/// anyway?
> I think what Keith _really_ meant was tr[\0\xff][ @] or
> equivalent.

No, I was intending for the operation to be performed on the
program Patrick had suggested (or my revision), not on the
input file (which doesn't contain any "\x00" or "\xff").  So
unless I'm missing something q(s'\x0\xff' @') was indeed what I
meant, special meaning of single quotes and all.  That is, I
wanted to change the part of the program that said
q(tr,01\n,\x0\xff,d;) to q(tr,01\n, @,d;).

I have no explanation for my not changing 'tr' to 'y' (or for
that matter not removing the 'x' in '\x0').  I hang my head in
shame.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Washington, DC