On 01/02/2002 08:02:11 Andrew.Savige wrote:

[snip]

>You might even have a third "novice" section to generate some
>excitement for the golfer who is both a Perl beginner and a
>programmer beginner. You will notice that Peter, Jason and
>Stephen are all accomplished programmers and very bright too
>(one has written a scheme interpreter, and at least one of
>them has a PhD). It is very hard for a beginner programmer
>to compete with them.

Beginner _programmers_ should not play golf (perhaps not even watch).
They need to learn to use the language before abusing it.

Perl Golf should come with a warning label, something like:

"This code was created by a professional programmer
 on a closed-circuit mailinglist. Not for general use" :-)

I'm in programming for nearly ten years (Perl nearly a year),
and some of this stuff gives me headaches, even after passing through
B::Deparse :-)

Csaba

--
Csaba Ráduly, Software Engineer                           Sophos Anti-Virus
email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]                        http://www.sophos..com