In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
        Rick Klement <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>> Turn off the computer and go do something else that does not require
>> much thinking. I get most ideas in the shower, in bed just before I go
>> to sleep, or while riding a bike to/from work. (If anyone on fwp lives
>> around Utrecht & drives a car: please be careful during golf games.
>> Thank you.)
>
> I solved wc.pl in the shower. I did most of my improvements on
> even.pl in bed (no, I don't have a computer in there). I found "*1.11%10"
> and how to eliminate the "chop" in, ahem, "another room" of the house  :)

A definite pattern is evolving here. I found most of my optimizations
(the *1.11%10, the s//pop/e, using $` and $&) while riding home from
work on the train.

However, the intensive periods after the computer are also needed. The
playing around you do then give you the basic blocks and an appreciation
of what the problem needs. But they suck for the dispassionate and out of
the box thinking part.
part.