En op 10 maart 2002 sprak Eugene van der Pijll:
> Actually, I did look for other solutions; I just could not find them.
> I did not try the s///eg within s///eg way, as I was sure that
> couldn't work. Earlier, I had tried things like m#___(?{___/./___})___#,
> which produced an error message about non-reentrant regex-routines.

I know, from bitter experience with Acme::EyeDrops, just how flaky
the (?{}) construct is; normally you cannot use regular expressions
inside it at all "because Perl's regex engine is not reentrant".
And yet, mysteriously, the s///eg construct seems exempt from
this "not rentrant rule". I do not understand.

For light relief, I could not restrain myself from hacking
this silly 52-stoker which solves the problem with 4 s///.

-l s,,pop,e;s;.;print,s,,hex($`%10+$&)%15,eg,s,,,;eg

/-\ndrew