Smylers wrote:
It only does that if you've heard the term before.  I hadn't heard of it
before this thread, and I'm a native English speaker.  My initial guess
was that it's some kind of small cart, but I now gather it's an
alternative term for a pushchair, or perhaps for a pram.

Either way Google suggests "babycart" isn't that commonly used -- number
of hits listed for each of these phrases:

  babycart        18_100
  "baby cart"     75_500
  pushchair      739_000
  pram         4_440_000

And picking a less-commonly used term doesn't seem a great idea.

I haven't heard "baby cart" much either... I would probably say "baby carriage" (I'm from the USA). A Google search for "baby carriage" (in quotes) gets 918_000 results. There's a popular children's rhyme that kids used to tease each other when I was young:

John and Susie sitting in a tree,
K-I-S-S-I-N-G.
First comes love, then comes marriage,
Then comes a baby in a baby carriage!

Replace "John" and "Susie" with the names of the people you're teasing, of course. :-) I don't know if there's a British equivalent of the rhyme. Anyway, Wikipedia claims that a baby carriage and a pram are equivalent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baby_carriage

With half the number of syllabes, babycart is much faster to say

"babycart" is 3 syllables; "shopping trolley" is only 4 -- and again
Google agress with me that in English "shopping trolley" is a more usual
phrase than "supermarket trolley":

  "supermarket trolley"     72_800
  "shopping trolley"     1_330_000

In the USA (at least where I'm from), it's called a "shopping cart", which is also 3 syllables, and gets 766_000_000 results. Maybe that's our winner? Then again, I don't know if "shopping cart" sounds strange to non-American speakers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shopping_cart

--
Michael W Thelen
It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with