To quickly recap, I bought a new PowerBook a couple of weeks ago and was
unable to purchase an extended warranty. The Apple store blamed it on
Florida laws. So I wrote to one of my state representatives. Here is his
response:

"Dear Ryan:

The extended warranty laws in Florida do require some higher standards
than other states but it certainly doesn't keep most companies from
continuing to sell the products.  As you said, Best Buy and Circuit City
routinely offer their extended warranties so it surprises me that Apple
would not.  However, this is certainly their prerogative since this is a
free country.  You may be able to buy an extended warranty from another
company-- I just went to google and did a search and this is the first
one I came to that says you don't have to buy the product from them.

http://www.smartwareetc.com/extended-warranties-laptop.html

I didn't see an exclusion from selling in Florida either.  I am sorry
for your inconvenience but I don't believe that the answer is to curb
the protections that were put into place for our citizens.  If all the
companies were taking that position, I would be concerned but I respect
their business decision not to sell the product.  Let me know if you
have trouble finding another company to write the extended warranty for
you and I will look into this further.

Thanks,
Rep. John K. Stargel
District 64"

After thinking about it, I think he has a point. No other companies seem to
have problems offering extended warranties in Florida. I believe if I would
have bought my laptop from CompUSA, they would have sold me a warranty. Why
can't Apple? Why do they choose not to? Does anyone know how to get through
to Apple to get a real answer? My brother just bought a dual G5 over the
phone from Apple and tried to buy a warranty but of course they wouldn't
sell it to him. When he asked why not, once again they just said because of
the laws in Florida, but couldn't give him a straight answer about what
particular part of the law makes it too hard for Apple but everyone else
seems to have no problems.

BTW - I checked the link that the representative sent me but I would have
had to buy the warranty within 10 days of purchasing the computer.

Ryan Lee
--------
[EMAIL PROTECTED]