On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 04:59:52AM -0500, D. G. Bowie wrote:
:
: I have a Powerbook G3 (Lombard) with 192 MB of RAM.  In an effort to
: move to OS X, I was advised to get a USB external hard drive to
: install it on, because my internal drive is small (4 GB).  So
: yesterday I purchased a Maxtor 80 GB external hard drive.
[...]
:
: 1.  Is there a work-around, or a hack-around (with ResEdit) to get
: this USB drive to show up on Drive Setup, and later, to show up on
: the startup disk control panel?

Dunno.  Anyone gotten an external USB drive to be bootable?

: 2.  If "no" to question 1, is there some other USB external hard
: drive that might be recommended to me as a start-up disk on which to
: install OS 10.3?

A 4 GB hard drive is way too tiny period.  Go get a new 2.5" drive and
install it yourself.  It's worth the effort.

Another alternative is a hard drive that attaches to the media bay.
These will boot into OS 9 for sure.  Possibly Panther too, but I've
never done it myself.

        http://www.mcetech.com/xpebhd.html

--
Eugene Lee