On Jan 10, 2006, at 7:01 AM, Luis Sequeira wrote:

On Jan 10, 2006, at 11:47 AM, G-Books wrote:

Andrew,

I use the XpressSCSI adapter from Microtech.  The adapter makes the
SCSI devices plugged into it, (daisy chained up to 7) look like USB
devices in OSX. I run Panther and there has never been a problem. The
devices I use on it:  SyQuest removable drive (remember those?), SCSI
CD-burner (even works in iTunes), Jaz drive and an Epson SCSI printer.
I recently replaced the printer 'cause it finally died but it had
nothing to do with the adapter.  The reason the Belkin adapter needs
drivers in the first place is due to the fact that it doesn't do what
the Microtech adapter does, which is simply "fool" OSX making it think
it's all USB devices.  In fact, under System Profiler, SCSI still says
"no devices found", and yet under USB all the devices come up, with the
adapter showing up as a USB hub.  THE MOST IMPORTANT thing to remember
when using these adapters is to have an ACTIVE terminator on the last
chained device, NOT a passive terminator.  That simple mistake can
cause the devices to simply not work, or worse, damage  everything.
Hope this info helps in your SCSI quest.

Zoltan

I have one of those but I could never find a driver for it in Mac OS X... where can one get such a thing? The Microtech site just says this is product is discontinued and points to one that says is not mac compatible...

Luis Sequeira

Hmmm,

Interesting. Have you plugged it in to see if it will work? If you've got an active terminator on the end chain device, and all the devices are turned on, then the adapter should just work. No need for new drivers. The USB drivers the adapter uses are already installed in OS X.