I have the neat little 12" iBook G4/1.33 GHz, with Combo drive, which I use for occasional genealogy research trips outside the house. Our main Mac, which I share with my wife, is a G4 QuickSilver 733 with Apple's 17" LCD. I particularly love that monitor.

In setting up another work desk in another room of the house, I could try using the iBook, or I could buy a new iMac. I will be working (or playing) hours at a time, sometimes all day with meal breaks. Principal uses are e-mail, web browsing, word processing, researching CD-ROMs for .pdf pages, and running the genealogy Reunion software.

Is anybody here happy with using their iBooks or small screen PowerBooks as desktop machines? Do you hook up an extra keyboard and mouse? Happy with the small screen? Or do you hook up a larger monitor? Elevate the laptop on a stand?

Any helpful hints welcome! Oh, has anyone tried using a laptop like this and found it best to move on to a conventional desktop or tower/monitor setup?

Thank you,

Al Poulin
Anger, hate, and revenge are for the devil, forgiveness is for God, proactive self-defense is for the rest of us.