on 19/02/06 06:49, Barry Muller at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> So I end up on Stonyfield's website (the yogurt
> people) and got to click to get their coupons and get
> the following error:
>
> "We have noticed that you are using a Macintosh
> Computer. Unfortunately, our system is not
> "cow"mpatible with the Macintosh platform."
>
> Now, it seems to me that if you one is on the web and
> using HTML, Java, ... etc. this stuff is platform
> independant, so a developer would have to go out of
> their way to make it incompatible with a type of
> computer.
>
> Also this particular firm takes a hipster-dufus
> marketing approach and would seem to me would want to
> cultivate customers in the progressive Mac community.
>

> Oh yeah, this happend while surfing with my 400 MHz
> Pismo (obligatory G-book content).
>
> Thanks for listening/reading.  Would be great if
> someone would generate a list of shame on the web for
> sites that have known "compatibility" issues with a
> given system (Mac, Linux, yes - even WIndows, if such
> a sie exists).

If you can enable the debug option in Safari, you could select the Windows
Microsoft Explorer user agent, which basically tells the website which
browser you use. I just tried it and had no problem getting in. Initially,
before I changed the user agent, I got the same message but now it appears
to be fine.

It's really a pity that developers are so lazy that they code for only a
specific platform. The Internet was supposed to be platform and OS agnostic
but the dominance of Windows and the constant push from Microsoft with their
specific extensions to the HTML language has skewed the direction of the
Internet and many websites only assume that you're running Windows and using
Internet Exploiter...

You could email or contact them to let them know

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

iron: n. Hardware, especially older and larger hardware of mainframe class
with big metal cabinets housing relatively low-density electronics (but the
term is also used of modern supercomputers). Often in the phrase big iron.
Oppose silicon. See also dinosaur.