on 19/02/06 18:21, Harry Corsover at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> On Feb 19, 2006, at 7:51 AM, Laurent Daudelin wrote:
>
>> Oups! I just realized why they only support Windows and Exploiter:
>> they use
>> the shameless ActiveX plugin. Well, then you're stuck and should
>> email them
>> to let them know they're losing customers.
>
> Laurent,
>
> I work with an otherwise excellent company that uses ActiveX for
> training web conferences. So far, I've had to use VPC in order to
> participate. Even with VPC 7.x on a 15" AlBook 1.25GHz with 1 GB RAM
> and OS 10.4.5, doing anything in Windows is painfully slow.
>
> Are there options that could be suggested to these programmers to
> make this process platform-independent? I'm thinking that there must
> be ways to do web conferences (where participants can see what the
> presenter is doing on her/his computer in real time) that don't
> depend on MS-only software...

I would imagine they could use Javascript. I'm not an expert in the domain
but people write all kind of applications using Javascript. Skype is also
offering a Windows client that support video. Not sure that it can do
conference but it's worth investigating. The current version of Skype for
Mac OS X doesn't support video yet but they promised that their next OS X
version will and is due soon.

-Laurent.
Logiciels Nemesys Software               mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

brute force adj.: Describes a primitive programming style, one in which the
programmer relies on the computer's processing power instead of using his or
her own intelligence to simplify the problem, often ignoring problems of
scale and applying naive methods suited to small problems directly to large
ones. The term can also be used in reference to programming style:
brute-force programs are written in a heavyhanded, tedious way, full of
repetition and devoid of any elegance or useful abstraction (see also brute
force and ignorance).