On Sat, 25 Feb 2006, Tim wrote:
 On Feb 25, 2006, at 1:15 AM, Frank P. Eigler wrote:

 > Agreed, attitude *does* matter, but may I suggest it's a two way
 > street.

 "BUT" cancels out everything said before it....

Everything? I disagree.

 > It was a succession of belittling comments, an overtly condescending
 > manner, and the use of derisive sarcasm by the nanny in question
 > towards
 > listers - behaviour which had only days earlier been explicitly
 > *prohibited* on the list - which caused me to openly ask if anyone else
 > was frustrated by these double standards. I have difficulty regarding
 > that
 > rhetorical query as overtly disrespectful and worthy of being banned.

 If I remember correctly (and I have the emails to prove it) I had been
 talking to Lavode and we were having a laugh together and you butted
 in.  Nobody had been talking to you and you started in.

Yes. A good laugh. On list. And at another's expense.

 > Contrary to Tim's suggestion, I *do* have a lot of respect for those
 > who
 > give of themselves in both these and other lists in which I participate
 > (*especially* the moderators), but it will never be unconditional.

 Of course!  :P
 > Actions such as I described above simply cannot go unchallenged.

 Challenge OFF-list.  Especially when nobody had been talking to you to
 begin with!

Tim  - this is where you and I have a fundamental philisophical
difference of opinion. You openly behaved in a maner in direct
contravention of rules you had recently articulated (rules which, you may
recall, I *supported*), and you did so *publically* - and not for the
first time. I, thus, commented publically (as I do here). To not speak out
was, in my  mnd, akin to supporting your behaviour.

 > As I
 > commented to Tim in a follow-up email, 'setting the example' is by far
 > the
b> > best service that a moderator could provide, and one of the best
 > guaranntees of 'peace on the lists'. At the risk of being accused of
 > 'kissing a**' in here, I would point to Laurent and Amber as setting
 > excellent examples. The quality of this list attests to that.

 SHOW your respect then, Frank, or you will be banned from this and
 other lists as well.

I have. One need only go back to the posts when the mods in here were
being hassled about nettiquette issuesa while back to see an example of
that. And no - I was not hassling; I was supporting.
--
Non Illegitimi Carborundum

This sort of dialogue should be carried on off list. It's between 2 people and has NOTHING to do with the aims of the list.
--
Terry McCune