On Tue, 10 Jan 2012, Thomas Jung wrote:
> First I save all available partitions to my backup server, but it is
> a "usual" PC, with 3+1 partititons
> 3 first partitions e,f,g and an extended aprtiton which schould be h
> But that h partition is not shown in 'parts wd0'

g4u doesn't support "extended" partitions.

> But I tried to save that extended partition with
>
> uploadpart 192.168.2.16 rwd0h.gz wd0h
>
> and there is now a small (about 1k) file.
> What is, if I will slurpdisk that partion and an included logical
> partition back to the computer?

I generally recommend testing disaster recoveries befor eyou really need
them. In your case, I don't expect anything useful to happen, not knowing
what wd0h is.

Output of 'fdisk wd0' may help at this time, also 'disklabel wd0'.

> Do I have to slurpdisk the extended partition first (if the
> computer/partitions are all destroyed) and then slurpdisk all
> or the ones, which I would like to resotre afterwards, which
> resides in thate extended (4th primary) partition the logical
> volumes?

If your whole machine gets destroyed, I strongly recommend you do not use
uploadpart/restorepart, but uploaddisk/restoredisk, as only that will
restore your MBR=partition table. Without a partition table, your
partition data is useless.

> uploadmbr 192.168.2.16 rwd0mbr.gz wd0mbr bs=512 count=63
> or something like that?

I agree. It's not there, though. Mea culpa :)
I've been fighting to rebuild g4u recently, with very limited succes :-/

  - Hubert