Feature Requests item #1220976, was opened at 2005-06-15 03:14
You can respond by visiting:
https://sourceforge.net/tracker/?func=detail&atid=350235&aid=1220976&group_id=235

not just the latest update.
Category: gtk-ui
Group: None

Initial Comment:
Hello,
by reading the lastest gaim suggestion for google
summer of code, I though about one thing to do
on the gaim UI to be more useful and adaptable to
users needs.
I think it would be a good idea to rewrite the UI
part by using massively .xml configuration files.
Thoses files would be used in order to describe
the different components of the gaim UI.
by component I mean the buttons as well as the
windows or the buddy list organisation (vertical list,
circle, ...).

There is a problem with the plugins of gaim ?
ok, in an .xml file it should be possible to
define a "plugins area" and to specify the way they
are inserted (from left to right, right to left,
vertical, horizontal,
fixed number of placeholders,...).

The buttons (or any other graphical element) would be
described with svg or other to superseed a specific
gtk/gnome theme button.

least but not last an .xsd file can be use for UI .xml
validation.

Gaim would provide a default set of .xml files to have
an UI ;)
The main interrest here is the liberty of any user to build
an UI that fit exactly to its needs without having to
develop
a specific plugin. (I think plugins have better to do
elsewhere).

Of course using .xml files can be very heavy in resources
utilization but it is not mandatory to have a realtime
update
of the .xml file, component first use loading for less
powerful
computers could be used.

What do you think ?

Comment By: Luke Schierer (lschiere)