Hi Charles,

Maybe so, but there is more to cheating than just completing or
winning a game. I do not usually use cheat codes when they are
available, but when I do it is  usually because I have already
completed a game and want to play the game differently. Think of it as
a way to unlock new and interesting content.

For example, take the game Shades of Doom. There are many cheat codes
available such as the ability to walk through walls, fast walking,
invincible armor, unlimited ammo, and other nifty cheats. While that
is indeed cheating winning the game isn't usually the point for me
when I'm using those cheats. I merely want the experience and
enjoyment of walking around the lab killing various monsters without
them being able to harm my character. I'm just blowing off steam,
going on a rampage, and winning the game is secondary to just
splattering all the enemies on mass.

Another case in point is a Star Wars game from the early 90's called
Dark Forces. I use to play that game all the time, I actually beat it
many times without cheats, so eventually I began using various cheat
codes for the game. What made using cheats in that game so appealing
was the funny things I could do. I could walk into a guard room, all
the storm troopers would open fire, and the blaster bolts would just
bounce off my character. I could then whip out a thermal detonator and
blow up the entire room and not get damaged. Meanwhile all the poor
storm troopers are laying dead everywhere. That kind of cheating is
called god moding because it gives a player godlike powers, and it is
simply a different way to experience the game than is usual.