Hi Charles,

It seems to me you have missed the point. The point is not always to
win so to speak but to experience the game in a different way from the
usual one.
As it so happens comparing a game like Chess to say Shades of Doom is
like comparing apples and oranges. There would be no fun or point in
cheating at Chess unless someone was absolutely determined to win the
game without putting the effort into it. However, with Shades of Doom
I can imagine several cases where cheating would offer a number of
motives above and beyond merely winning.

Perhaps someone gets stuck on a certain area or level and wants to see
the next one. Using a cheat code to get passed a difficult area of the
game to get to the next level seems to me to be an acceptable use of a
cheat since it allows him/her to move on without getting stuck.

Another possible good use for a cheat is that certain enemies such as
the blobs are often hard to get passed on certain difficulty settings.
All one has to do is load his/her weapon with unlimited ammo and blow
the blob away and then turn the cheat off.  Yes, someone is cheating
but they are doing so judiciously.

The point here you are thinking very black and white about this issue
looking at this as a what if situation where you enter a Chess
competition with cheating on your mind where as I doubt most people
who use cheat codes think of using them in that way. I'd say most
would use cheats to get passed a difficult level or difficult enemy
and only use them in certain types of games and circumstances. Not in
every case is winning the objective or ultimate goal. For most having
a good time or just having fun is paramount.