Oh awesome! I get to completely disagree with Charles on my brand new
laptop! What glorious fun! The big advantage of computer rpgs is that
you just don't have to remember all the rules. The better a grasp you
have on them, the better a player you'll be. However, good computer
rpgs have intuitive interfaces and handle all the complicated
consequences of your decisions. For example, you might decide to talk
with a character. You'd be presented with a series of choices as to
what to say or how you approach the conversation. You could offer all
those in simple buttons or combo boxes plus text and stats. That and
good story are at the heart of every rpg. Again, no reason at all that
you couldn't have that presented with Voiceover or through fully
dramatized sound and human actors. The iPHONE is certainly powerful
enough to handle that.

Look at King of Dragon Pass. A whole lot of complexity but actually
operating the game is very simple. A whole lot is going on behind the
scenes as clan relationships change, different characters develop and
age, and lots more. The interface allows you to focus on the areas
which interest you at a given moment. The iPHONE is very well suited
to such games. They are, however, harder to produce.

> For me, lengthy and complex role playing games are not for the iPhone.  The
>
> games that I would prefer are usually games that I must react to action or
> use dice to score, or something along that nature.  A game such as chess or
>
> checkers will work well, too, although I have to have a separate board for
> scoping out my next move.  I find it very difficult to explore a board using
>
> speech only.  I very much prefer to look at the whole board without having
> to memorize where the pieces are.  Arcade games work well on an iDevice, as
>
> well as a game in which you drive a vehicle on tracks.
>
> I have seen books of instructions for Dungeons and Dragons and other such
> games, and they! are! huge!!  There is no way that I'm going to remember all
>
> of those rules, and games for iDevices work best if they don't require
> months to play.  I can play Blindfold Pinball or Blindfold Bowling for
> either a few minutes or a few hours, and ther is an end to each game.  In an
>
> RPG, it takes forever, if there is even a victor.  I think it is a personal
>
> opinion, but I just don't think that an RPG is best suited for iDevice
> gaming.  Sports games or arcade games, and dice competition games such as
> Dice World, or even sound oriented adventure games are more suited for
> them.
>

> If you think you're finished, you! really! are! finished!!

Michael Feir
Creator and presenter of Journeys of the Mind: Play is Where Community Begins
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2015/01/journeys-of-mind-play-is-where.html

Volunteer at New Horizons Peel Multicultural Centre
www.peelmc.ca
2014--2015

Disability advocate
Meadowvale Community Christian Reformed Church
www.meadowvalecrc.ca
2013--2014

Volunteer at The Dam
http://www.thedam.org
2011-2013
Twitter: mfeir
Skype: michael-feir
Author of Personal Power:
How Accessible Computers Can Enhance Personal Life For Blind People
2006-2008
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2009/01/personal-power.html

A Life of Word and Sound
2003-2007
http://michaelfeir.blogspot.ca/2009/01/life-of-word-and-sound.html

Creator and former editor of Audyssey Magazine 1996-2004
Check out my blog at:
http://www.michaelfeir.blogspot.ca