Hi Ken.

Magic the gathering is a ccg, not an rpg. That is, it's a collectable card game, albeit one with a fantasy theme (other ccgs exist for everyting from pokemon, to wwwe wrestling, to harry potter).

Ccgs work as effectively two or more player battle games. players collect cards (usually in unnumbered packagess at random), make a deck comprising a specific numbers of cards they've made, and do battle against each other attempting to win in statistical, and usually rather complex strategical combat, btw, my brother was in the world championships for several ccgs, hence where I got to know this sort of thing.

This is not however an rpg, sinse the object isn't to progress a character through a story or explore a world engaging in statistical combat or making choices as part of that ongong exploration, but for two players to first build decks out of these thousands of cards and then play a statistical combat game against each other simply to see who wins, sort of like an ultra complex version of bridge, indeed "deck building" ie, choosing which of the thousands of available ccg cards to have in a player's deck in matches is it's own skill, quite aside from actually playing the deck against your opponent.

Making a ccg, much less making one from scratch electronically would be quite the task. Definitely not impossible, but a rather different project from a streight up rpg game, so magic the gathering probably isn't a good inspiration to look into, though confusingly enough there are some card based rpgs which function in a different way with the cards actually telling a story and providing randomized factors, and the player or players all playing from the same initial deck rather than collecting and building their own decks.

Munchkin is one I've heard of that works this way, as does the more recent heroes of the multiverse (a game several of my friends play).

hth.

all the best,