Hello ryan.

Your question got me interested, so I've consulted the fount of ineffable
wisdom known as wikipedia on this one, ---- the artical on reaction time
found at  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reaction_time#Types_of_RT_tasks

Interestingly enough, the average reaction time for a basic here sound-press
button test is apparently around the 0.15 seconds (or 150 milliseconds),
mark on Average. thinking in terms of games, and particularly the quick
reaction sterrio games like shoot da me, I'd take this as a base line, pluss
a few milliseconds for the player to process the sterrio direction of the
information.

so say a nice round figure like 0.2 seconds as an average challenge,
decrease this to 0.25 or 0.30 seconds for an easier opponent, and lower this
to the 0.150 mark for a tough opponent, (sinse the player stil has to
process the sound), and if you want to be really cruel go down to 0.130 or
maybe even 0.120 for some uba challenge!

One thing I remember about the previous versions of shoot da me is that I
found them slightly too easy, ---- perhaps this type of info will let you
make a more balanced game, Also, I'm sorry but I did get interested in this
question as well hence the long and rambling post.

Beware the zero point Grue!