Hi Bryan,
Well, there are ways of working around the copyright issues, keeping in
the legal boundries, but it is risky, and may not be practicle for a
software developer.
There are some fair use provisions in the U.S. copyright laws that state
when, where, and how one may use copyrighted works legally. However, the
problem is even though there are some fair use provisions they are hotly
being contested by big corperations that want total and absolute control
of their copyrights.
For example, let us say I do want to go ahead with Jedi Strike and
release a game with a Star wars theme. Under fair use provisions I must
offer the game for free, it must be available for an educational
purpose, I must acknowledge Lucas as the original copyright holder, and
renounce any claim to a copyright to the work. If I except those
provisions then I could legally release the game, but I can't make any
money off of it. Even worse in order to clasify it as for an educational
purpose the product might have to be open source, but doing that would
force me to allow everyone to  have the Genesis 3D source code. Since
Genesis 3D is completely my creation I might have to give up my right to
the Genesis 3D copyrights in order to meet legal fair use rights for
Star Wars. This is the kind of catch 22 game developers have to face if
they don't have legal permission directly from the copyright holders.