Hi Philip,
That's been my experience as well. Both of the young women who were
originally going to help with MOTA, as far as voice acting goes, had
decent voices and acting skills. The problem was they didn't have
access to professional recording equipment, and I spent a lot of time
trying to filter out background noise, hums, hisses, and crackles out
of the recordings. Good voice talent, but budget recording equipment
for the job. I'm not complaining, but it certainly would have helped
if they had access to professional recording equipment too.
I did, however, pay for the voice talent for Angela Carter and my
sound files came in mint condition. Not a pop, hiss, crackle, or
background hum to be found on the files. They were all 44100 KHZ 16
byt stereo and they sound like they just came off of a cd. Point is
you get what you pay for, and for voice talent you almost always have
to pay something to get that degree of professional quality voice work
done. So I think if I do this at all I'll probably go the voice actor
or actress too.