Hi Thomas,
I do like the warning at the edge of traps for several reasons.
In a sighted game or in reality, you would know exactly how far you were away from a trap just by seeing it. Before the edge warning, I had to go into view, fine the specific trap and hit enter. The distance is in meters but I was moving in steps, so I would not know if 1 meter away was one step or two. So I would have to take a step and then go through the procedure until the trap was 0 away.
This is time consuming and makes playing less fun.
Plus I could not do this if there was any creatures attacking me in the room. If you prevent creatures from being in the same room as traps, it also lessens the fun aspect. With an edge warning I think it would be possible to fight creatures at the same time as jumping pits. Also if there was a hot key to tell you quickly how many steps to the edge of the nearest trap, then I would not need the edge warning. Phil